Jim Dowd was the Labour Member of Parliament (MP) for Lewisham West and Penge (England) from 1992 to 2017.
Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
Accepted Tobacco Hospitality
In 2013, Dowd accepted two tickets and associated hospitality for Glyndebourne Opera Festival at an approximate value of £1,533.32 from JTI.
Dowd had also accepted hospitality from JTI in 2011 and 2012.
Opposed Tobacco Control Measures in UK
Against SmokeFree Legislation
In July 2010 he signed an Early Day Motion calling for a review of the smoking ban.
Against Amendments to the Children and Families Bill 2014
In February 2014, Dowd was one of only 24 MPs who voted against tabled amendments to the Children and Families Bill which would enable the UK government to:
- 1. Introduce regulations requiring plain packaging for tobacco products;
- 2. Introduce regulations making it an offence to sell e-cigarettes to children under 18;
453 MPs voted in favour of the amendments.
- Japan Tobacco International
- Tobacco Industry Hospitality for UK Politicians
- Plain Packaging in the UK
Profile of Jim Dowd on TheyWorkForYou website.
- House of Commons Publications, Register of Members’ Financial Interests – 2 June 2014 report, 2 June 2014, accessed February 2015
- House of Commons Publications, Register of Members’ Financial Interests – 7 May 2013 report, 7 May 2013, accessed February 2015
- House of Commons Publications,‘Register of Members' Financial Interests - 13th December 2011 report, 13 December 2011, accessed December 2011
- M. Goslett, K. Gladdis, ‘Tobacco firm gave thousands of pounds worth of hospitality to nine MPs who opposed smoking bill’, Daily Mail, 23 November 2011, accessed December 2011
- House of Commons website, Early day motion 406 – Review of smoking ban in pubs and clubs, 6 July 2010, accessed December 2011
- Hansard,Children and Families Bill (Programme No. 3), House of Commons Debates, 10 February 2014, accessed February 2015
- S. MacGuill. House of Enablers – Does anything now go for tobacco control in the UK? Euromonitor International, 11 February 2014
- Smokefree Action Coalition. SFAC welcomes Parliament’s support for a package of measures to reduce smoking and protect children. Smokefree Action Coalition News, 10 February 2014