Difference between revisions of "Angela Watkinson"
Latest revision as of 12:39, 31 May 2019
Dame Angela Watkinson was the Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) for Hornchurch and Upminster (England), from June 2001 to May 2017.
Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
Accepted Tobacco Hospitality
2014 - Two tickets worth £1404.00
2013 - Two tickets worth £1260.00
2012 - Two tickets worth £1,188.00
2011 - Two tickets worth £1132.80
JTI spent £23,000 entertaining MPs in the UK in six months during 2011.
For more information on the tobacco industry tactic to offer hospitality to those with influence over the passage of tobacco laws, go to Tobacco Industry Hospitality for UK Politicians.
Opposed Tobacco Control Measures in the UK
Against Plain Packaging
Following the government's announcement on 21 January 2015 that it was minded to proceed with plain packaging legislation ahead of the May 2015 General Election, a number of Conservative Party members spoke out including Watkinson. She said in the House of Commons:
- “It will not work and I will oppose it.”
Prior to her statement Watkinson disclosed her conflict of interest: “I draw attention to my entry in the Register of Members’ Financial Interests.”
- Japan Tobacco International
- Tobacco Industry Hospitality for UK Politicians
- Plain Packaging in the UK
Profile of Angela Watkinson on TheyWorkForYou website.
- E. Glanfield, Tory MP who tried to stop introduction of plain cigarette packets received £5,000 in Chelsea Flower Show tickets from leading tobacco firm, Mail Online, 23 January 2015, accessed May 2019
- House of Commons Publications, Register of Members' Financial Interests - 22 September 2014 report, 22 September 2014, accessed May 2019
- House of Commons Publications, Register of Members' Financial Interests - 2 June 2014 report, 2 June 2014, accessed May 2019
- House of Commons Publications, Register of Members' Financial Interests - 7 May 2013 report, 7 May 2013, accessed May 2019
- House of Commons Publications, Register of Members' Financial Interests - 13th December 2011 report, 13 December 2011, accessed May 2019
- M. Goslett, K. Gladdis, Tobacco firm gave thousands of pounds worth of hospitality to nine MPs who opposed smoking bill, Daily Mail, 23 November 2011, accessed May 2019
- C. Henry, David Cameron facing Tory backlash over plain cigarette packs, City AM, 23 January 2015, accessed May 2019
- Hansard, House of Commons Debates 21 January 2015: Standardised Packaging (Tobacco Products), Volume no:591, Part no:96, 21 January 2015, accessed May 2019