Stephen Metcalfe has been the Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) for South Basildon and East Thurrock (England) since May 2010.
He is the Treasurer of the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for E-Cigarettes.
- 1 Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
- 2 Opposed Tobacco Control Measures in UK
- 3 TobaccoTactics Resources
- 4 Relevant Link
- 5 Notes
Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
Accepted Tobacco Hospitality
Opposed Tobacco Control Measures in UK
Against Plain Packaging
- "There is no reliable evidence that plain packaging will have any public health benefit; no country in the world has yet to introduce it. However, such a measure could have extremely negative consequences elsewhere. The proposal will be a smuggler’s charter. … this policy threatens more than 5,500 jobs directly employed by the UK tobacco sector, and over 65,000 valued jobs in the associated supply chain. … Given the continued difficult economic climate, businesses should not be subjected to further red tape and regulation"
Voted Against Bill Banning Smoking in Cars Carrying Children
In June 2011, Metcalfe voted against a Private Member’s Bill banning smoking in cars carrying children. The bill was supported by the British Lung Foundation.
Against Display Ban
Against Indoor Smoking Ban
In October 2010 Metcalfe voted for the smoking ban to be overturned.
In November 2010 he signed an Early Day Motion calling for a review of the smoking ban.
- Japan Tobacco International
- Tobacco Industry Hospitality for UK Politicians
- Plain Packaging in the UK
- Display Ban
- All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for E-Cigarettes
Profile of Stephen Metcalfe on TheyWorkForYou website.
- House of Commons Publications, Register of Members' Financial Interests - 13th December 2011 report, 13 December 2011, accessed December 2011
- Miles Goslett and Keith Gladdis, Tobacco firm gave thousands of pounds worth of hospitality to nine MPs who opposed smoking bill, Daily Mail, 23 November 2011, accessed December 2011
- M. Barrett, 34 Conservative MPs write to Andrew Lansley to express “serious concerns” about plain tobacco packaging, Conservative Home”, 2 July 2012, accessed February 2015
- Hansard, Smoking in Private Vehicles bill first reading in the House of Commons, 22 June 2011, accessed December 2011
- British Lung Foundation, Alex Cunningham MP successfully tabled a motion to stop smoking in cars with children, press release, 22 June 2011, accessed December 2011
- P. Goodman, Fifty Conservative MPs demand a free vote on shop tobacco display ban, ConservativeHome, 18 December 2010, accessed December 2011
- J. Isaby, David Nuttall's attempt to relax the smoking ban falls at the first hurdle - but 77 Tory MPs vote for his Bill (with 38 opposing it), ConservativeHome, 14 October 2010, accessed December 2011
- House of Commons website,Early day motion 406 - Review of smoking ban in pubs and clubs, 6 July 2010, accessed December 2011