Dr Richard Tubb is a retired Brigadier General in the US Air Force and former White House physician. He served three presidents in various White House capacities, including director of the White House Medical Unit and physician to the president, and retired from the White House and the Air Force in 2009.
Relationship with Tobacco Industry
Was Board Member of Tobacco Company
- “This appointment further demonstrates our commitment to putting science at the heart of our business and I am excited about the role Richard will play in the development of our strategy.”
BAT’s press release claimed that Tubbs was “a leading public health figure actively involved in the science and policy development of tobacco harm reduction and alternative nicotine products”.
However, Tubb’s official US Air Force CV did not mention any work in tobacco harm reduction, and searches undertaken on 18 March 2013 of health publication databases (including Web of Knowledge, Scopus, PubMed, and Embase) reveal no peer-reviewed publications authored by Tubb on the subject of tobacco harm reduction.
Speaker at Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum
In 2015, Tubb was an invited speaker at the Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum, an annual tobacco industry event previously known as the Global Tobacco Networking Forum. For a list of other invited speakers, see also:
Parallax and Philip Morris
In 2018, Tubb was listed as a Board Member of a Canadian company called Parallax, whose mission is “to end the scourge of cigarette smoking with a safe and pure product”. It is unclear when the company was founded, but the company’s website has only been registered since February 2018.
- British American Tobacco
- Philip Morris International
- Harm Reduction
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum
- Tobacco Journal International, Management changes: Dr Richard Tubb, January 2013
- British American Tobacco, News Release: Board appointment at British American Tobacco, 29 January 2013
- British American Tobacco, British American Tobacco: Karen De Segundo, Richard Tubb To Retire From Board, RTT News, 27 April 2014, accessed July 2018
- US Air Force, Biographies: Brigadier General (Dr.) Richard J. Tubb, July 2006, archived 5 April 2013
- Global Tobacco & Nicotine Forum, Look Who’s Talking. GTNF 2015: Voices from ‘The Square’, GTNF 2015, accessed February 2017
- Parallax, Homepage, undated, accessed July 2018
- Philip Morris International, Philip Morris International Makes Another Step towards a Smoke-Free Future Through Partnership with Physician-Founded Start-Up, PMI website, 28 June 2018, accessed July 2018
- Whois.net: parallax.ca, accessed July 2018