Pinney Associates is an American health consultancy, founded in 1994 by John Pinney.
- 1 Background
- 2 Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
- 3 TobaccoTactics Resources
- 4 Relevant Link
- 5 Notes
In January 2018, key people at the consultancy included:
- John Pinney - Founder and CEO
- Joe Gitchell - President
- Jack Henningfield- Vice President Research, Health Policy and Abuse Liability
- Saul Shiffman - Senior Scientific Advisor, Behavioral Science, Study Design and Analysis
- Robyn Gougelet- Senior Associate
Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
Harm Reduction Work Funded by Reynolds American
At the time of the agreement, John Pinney, the founder of Pinney Associates said:
"Our overriding objective is to minimize the death and disease caused by conventional cigarette smoking as quickly as possible and we believe we have a powerful opportunity to advance this objective with these new relationships"
Financial Interest in Nicotine Gum Marketed by Tobacco Company
Jack Henningfield, Pinney Associates' Vice President Research, and leading expert on tobacco control and addiction, has disclosed that he shares a patent for a nicotine gum that is under license to Niconovum, a wholly-owned subsidiary of RAI.
Pinney Promotes Research by "Our Colleagues" at Reynolds
In January 2018, Joe Gitchell, President at Pinney Associates, emailed public health experts to invite them to attend a RAI briefing, scheduled for February 2018 to coincide with the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) conference.
Gitchell's email implied collaboration between the tobacco industry and the public health community, referring to RAI staff as "our RAI colleagues" who were to "provide an overview of the [FDA] application and will present the behavioral data that may be of interest to you".
The "by-invitation only" event was to be moderated by Pinney Associates' Saul Shiffman, and would be followed by "cocktails and appetizers following the briefing, and a sit-down dinner, sponsored by Reynolds American Inc".
Speaker at a Tobacco Industry Event
Since 2014, Pinney Associates staff have been regular speakers at the Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum, an annual tobacco industry event previously known as the Global Tobacco Networking Forum. See also:
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum 2017
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum 2016
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum 2015
- Global Tobacco Networking Forum 2014
- Harm Reduction
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum
- Third Party Techniques
- Global Forum on Nicotine
- Pinney Associates, Our people: John Pinney, Founder and Chief Executive, undated, accessed November 2017
- Pinney Associates, Our People: Senior Leadership, 2018, accessed January 2018
- Pinney Associates, Tobacco harm reduction, 2017, accessed November 2017
- PR Newswire, PinneyAssociates and Subsidiary Enter into Product Development and Consulting Agreements with Subsidiaries of Reynolds American Inc., 19 February 2015, accessed November 2017
- J. Henningfield, Global Nicotine Reduction Strategy. Personal Insights on the View From FDA and the WHO TobReg Study Group, Presented at CORESTA Congress, Berlin, 11 October 2016, accessed November 2017
- J. Gitchell, "Invitation to Camel Snus MRTPA briefing in Baltimore". Email to undisclosed public health experts, dated 19 January 2018, 18:33
- Global Tobacco and Networking Forum, Look who's talking, 2014, accessed December 2017
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum, Look who's talking, 2015, accessed December 2017
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum, Look who's talking, 2016, accessed November 2017
- Global Tobacco & Nicotine Forum, Look who's talking, 2017, accessed October 2017