Almos Molnar worked as European Union (EU) Corporate Affairs Manager at Imperial Tobacco from 2014 to 2016.
Lobbying on EU Tax Directive
In June 2016, Molnar put in a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the EU Commission directorate Taxation and Customs Union, requesting information on the Expert Group on the Classification and inclusion of (new) products in the scope of excisable tobacco. Molnar requested:
- “… all available documents related to the work of "F2020 FPG/050 _ PG_Classification and inclusion of (new) products in the scope of excisable tobacco products (E03296)", such as agendas and minutes taken at the meetings of this Commission Expert Group.”
This FOI request was made a few months before the Commission directorate Taxation and Customs Union started a public consultation on revising Directive 2011/64/EU which regulates excise duties for tobacco products.
In 2015 Molnar was a trainee at the Communications Unit of European Parliament Political Party the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE). It is unclear what policy portfolios he worked on.
Molnar’s previous role in the European Parliament makes him a ‘revolving door case’; a civil servant who takes up a job as lobbyist or consultant, and who can continue to use their government network to influence policy.
- Instinctif Partners, Team: Almos Molnar, Instinctif Partners website, undated, accessed March 2017
- PRCA Public Affairs Agency and In-House Register June – August 2016, PRCA website, accessed March 2017
- A. Molnar, Application for access to documents Ref GestDem No 2016/3433, Asktheeu.org, 20 June 2016, accessed March 2017
- European Commission Taxation and Customs Union, Excise Duties: Tobacco Legislation, European Commission website, last updated 14 March 2017, accessed March 2017
- Alliance for Liberals and Democrats for Europe, ALDE Party office welcome three new trainees, 1 September 2015, accessed March 2017